Fast and fairly easy cookie bar that is tasty and will disappear from you cookie plate in a flash. Great for gifts or to share with those you work with. Adapted from a Local supermarket advertising mailer
- Heat oven to 350°F
- Coat a 9x13" baking pan lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
- Beat cake mix, oil and egg in large mixing bowl, on medium speed until somewhat crumbly. Add peanuts and stir. Measure out and set aside 1 1/2 cups of the cake crumb peanut mixture to be used later. Pour remaining mixture into prepared pan and press out to evenly cover the bottom of the pan.
- Beat sweetened condensed milk and peanut butter in a medium bowl until smooth (hint: use the same bowl you used for cake crumbs). Spread this over the prepared cake crust. This will be a bit challenging. Be careful but don't worry if you struggle with the cake layer a bit.
- After spreading the mixture sprinkle about 4 oz of semi sweet chocolate chips evenly over the peanut butter mixture.
- Pour reserved cake crumb mixture over the top and spread evenly, pressing down gently.
- Bake 25 - 30 minutes until set. Remove from oven. Turn oven off. Top with Remaining about 6 oz more of chocolate chips. Return to oven for 1 minute and then remove from oven. Use a spatula to spread the chocolate evenly over the top of the bars. Cool and store in covered container. Enjoy.
- Note: You can be creative with this recipe. The cake flavor may be changed. Other flavor chips may be substituted for chocolate. Other nuts may be substituted or combined for/with peanuts. Other nut butters may be substituted for peanut butter. This one basic recipe can produce many bar variations.