Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This icing is the perfect finishing touch-- velevty and oh-so-smooth. (This recipe is from the cookbook "How It All Vegan.")
- 1 cup cold water
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup dry sweetener
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the flour and water constantly over medium heat until thick (about the consistency of glue).
- Be careful not to burn it!
- Once thick, remove from heat and cool off completely by setting the pot in a slightly larger pan of cold water, or a sink with a bit of cold water.
- While it's cooling, in a medium bowl, mix together the sweetener, vanilla, margarine, and cocoa powder until well mixed.
- Add the cooled flour mixture to the bowl and stir together until there are no lumps.
- Let cool in the fridge for 30-60 minutes-- before using.
I would have never thought to make icing this way! It came out just perfect--and you do need the extra fridge time to thicken it up a bit.
Kinda like sweetening up the papier mache mix! Fun recipe. I substituted the sweetener with half white sugar/half icing sugar. I added 4 tbsp of cocoa. I also added half of a brick of cream cheese. (I added it after I had already mixed the entire recipe smooth, so my final product ended up kinda lumpy...but that was OK. I was making a "construction" b'day cake.) Good recipe. Will make again.
Great recipe! Made this for my niece who has several food allergies, she loved it! Substituted 6 tablespoons canola oil for margarine since margarine has soy. Used sugar for dry sweetener. Used with Moist White Cake Moist White Cake (Egg Free).