Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Chocolate Cake. This cake part can be made up to 2 days ahead of time. Enjoy
- 18 1⁄2 ounces devil's food cake mix (see note)
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 (16 ounce) bottle Coca-Cola
- 2 tablespoons orange peel, grated
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 12 large strawberries, preferably unhulled
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 (16 ounce) package confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons powdered instant chocolate drink mix, such as Nestles Quik
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350°F; grease 13x9x2 inch baking pan.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions, using 1 1/3 cups cola in place of water and stirring 1 tablespoon grated orange peel in batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 30 minutes until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Invert cake onto wire rack cool completely.
- Cake may be made and stored, tightly wrapped, up to two days before decorating.
- Note: For firmer cake, use one 16-ounce package of pound cake mix, stirring in 1/3 cup powdered chocolate drink mix along with grated orange peel. Use cola for the liquid bake as directed.
- Stir chocolate chips in small heavy saucepan over very low heat until melted and smooth; remove from heat.
- Dip strawberries into chocolate to coat halfway, placing each berry as it is dipped on cookie sheet lined with wax paper.
- Refrigerate berries until ready to use.
- Cut cooled cake horizontally into 2 equal layers with sharp serrated knife; place bottom layer on large cookie sheet.
- Beat butter in large bowl with mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy, gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and chocolate drink mix until smooth.
- Beat 1/3 cup of remaining cola, remaining 1 tablespoon grated orange peel and vanilla until thoroughly blended and smooth.
- Spread half of frosting over bottom cake layer; top with second layer.
- Swirl remaining frosting over top of cake. Cut cake into 12 portions; arrange on platter.
- Decorate with chocolate-dipped strawberries.