Rachie P's Note:
I found these in a TOH and they instantly became a family classic! They are soft with a gooey center and the flavor is amazing! They are my DH's favorite as well as mine...it's not Christmas without these! (you will want to double this recipe!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (no substitutes)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 12 -14 caramel candies
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1In a mixing bowl cream butter and sugar.
- 2Beat in egg yolk, vanilla, and milk.
- 3Combine flour, cocoa, and salt; add to creamed mixture.Refrigerate 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 4Roll dough into 1 inch balls. Beat egg white.Dip balls into egg white and roll in the nuts.
- 5Place 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets.
- 6Make a 3/8 - 1/2 inch indentation in the center of each ball with the end of a wooden spoon (or your thumb!).
- 7Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. Remove to cool on wire racks.
- 8In a heavy saucepan, melt caramels with cream over low heat; stir until smooth.
- 9Using 1/2 tsp caramel mixture, fill each cookie.
- 10Melt chocolate chips and shortening in microwave; drizzle over cookies.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Caramel Thumbprint Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (70 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 313.9
- Calories from Fat 178
- Total Fat 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 44.1 mg
- Sodium 137.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 22.0 g
- Protein 3.9 g