1 hr 25 mins
Janine Smith's Note:
The title sounds strange, but the mixture of red beetroot (beets) and chocolate gives a wonderfully "earthy" flavour, not to sweet and for those who don;t like beetroot you really cannot taste the beetroot taste. From Delicious Magazine July 2004
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pre heat oven to 180C (350F)NOT FAN FORCED OVEN.
- 2Lightly butter a 25cm round or square cake pan.
- 3Sift cocoa powder, flour and baking powder into a large bowl.
- 4Stir in sugar and set aside.
- 5Puree cooked beetroot in food processor.
- 6Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition.
- 7Add vanilla and oil and wiz until smooth.
- 8Make a well in center of dry ingredients, stir in beetroot mixture, and lightly mix.
- 9Pour into pan and bake for 50-60minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- 10If the cake begins to brown, cover lightly with foil, after about 30 minutes.
- 11It WON'T rise a great deal, and the top might crack.
- 12Remove from the oven and cool for 15 minutes IN PAN, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 13Dust with icing sugar to serve.
- 14Can be served with fresh whipped cream or creme fraiche or just delicious plain.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Beetroot Cake
Serving Size: 1 (195 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 400.9
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 93.0 mg
- Sodium 187.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 45.8 g
- Protein 10.8 g