Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This came to me as a Christmas present. I made 2 pies from this and they were wonderful.
Make and share this Chip's Canned Apple Pie Filling With Amaretto recipe from Food.com.
- 12 large red apples (20 if small)
- 6 large granny smith apples (12 if small)
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 cup Amaretto
- Peel, core and slice apples.
- Add apples to large pot. Add sugar, 1 stick butter, water, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 15-20 minutes, reduce heat to medium low.
- Add Amaretto and let simmer another 5 minutes.
- Place in jars, process in water bath to seal.
Made this several times. The first time, I doubled the recipe and canned the apples following instructions to process in a water bath and everything. About two weeks later all the tops had popped up:( I tried again and this time I froze the apples. We have used numerous times for pies and cobblers and love the taste. I have also substituted dark rum for the amaretto and it was equally as good. Thanks Mary for a yummy apple recipe!
I made half a batch of these apples to try, and they will definitely be added to my homemade gift recipe collection. This batch won't be around long enough for canning. They are sooooooo good!! Vanilla ice cream, here we come. Thanks Mary!
Spent the day making this yummy recipe for Christmas gifts. Made 14 quarts and now have to decide who's worthy enough to receive it! Many thank's for this treat.