Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
From "Vegan with a Vengance". A basic casserole that can be modified with spices, vegan cheese, etc., to make it more flavorful...
- 3 (16 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 3 large carrots, grated (about 2 cups)
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets (about 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons chives, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs (preferably whole wheat)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In large bowl, mash the chickpeas well, using a potato masher or a firm fork; it takes about 2 minutes to get the right consistency. Add vegetables and mix well. Add the bread crumbs and mix, then add the oil and mix again. Finally, add teh vegetable broth and salt, mix one last time. Transfer all ingredients to a 9 x 13 casserole dish (glass or ceramic is best). Press the mixture firmly into the casserole. Cover with foil, bake 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 more minutes. Serve it hot the day you cook it, but it tastes good cold as well.
I made this recipe for my friend and I last night from the cookbook and absolutely loved it!! I served it for dinner instead of as a side dish, which worked out great. I made no modifications to the recipe as posted. This is going into my keeper file.
Easy and really great vegan comfort food!
I have the cookbook. I made it and then checked to see if it was posted. It's good, a little bland in a good, comforting way!