I came up with this, when I forgot to buy spinach (! :)) for Palak Paneer, but had a craving for something Indian. It turned out very nice, and I decided it's a keeper :). I hope you'll enjoy as well. Serve with rice, naan and/or parati, yoghurt, chutneys, ...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 500 g chickpeas (canned, with liquid)
- 350 g paneer cheese (Greek Halloumi works as well, just rinse thoroughly)
- 1 large red onion (chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 250 ml cream coconut milk (light works as well)
- 1 -2 tablespoon brinjal aubergine pickle, hot (optional)
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds (black)
- 1 tsb turmeric
- 1/2-1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 tsb cumin
- 2 tablespoons canola oil for frying cheese and spices
- salt and pepper
- 1Drain chickpeas of liquid.
- 2Cube paneer (or Halloumi) in about half inch cubes.
- 3Chop onion and garlic.
- 4Heat one TB oil in a non stick skillet and fry paneer (or Halloumi) until browned and crispy.
- 5Transfer cheese to a plate.
- 6Mix all dry spices in a bowl.
- 7Heat the other TB oil in a skillet and add mustard seeds and let fry until they crack.
- 8Add onion and garlic and let fry until translucent.
- 9Add spices and let roast until fragrant (not too long, or they will burn).
- 10Add chickppeas and stir until they are covered with spices.
- 11Add cream of coconut milk.
- 12Add one or two TB of Brinjal Aubergine pickle (adds a special flavour). Dissolve.
- 13Let curry simmer until it's of creamy consistency.
- 14Add cheese cubes and let heat through again.
- 15Salt and pepper to taste (if you want to, you can add some vegetable broth as well).
- 16Enjoy with your favourite Indian condiments.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chickpea and Paneer Curry
Serving Size: 1 (979 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1203.7
- Calories from Fat 562
- Total Fat 62.4 g
- Saturated Fat 48.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1558.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 139.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 25.9 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 33.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: