Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a delicious recipe that I made up years ago. It is my top requested recipe for my family's birthday dinners. It's easy, yet looks like you've slaved all day! Great for entertaining.
- 3 -4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 cup pesto sauce
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 425º.
- Slice or pound chicken into thin pieces.
- Brown lightly in pan coated with cooking spray.
- Place in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Thaw puff pastry according to package directions.
- Roll out each sheet into slightly larger rectangle.
- Cut each sheet into 4 equal pieces.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator, and cut into pieces small enough to fit on half of each pastry square.
- On each pastry square, place one piece chicken, one slice of mozzarella cheese, and 1 tablespoon of pesto sauce.
- Brush half the edges of each pastry square with egg wash mixture. Fold over and seal with fork.
- Transfer to cooking sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Brush top of each pillow with egg wash.
- Bake at 425º until golden brown, approximately 20 minutes.
- Serve with any remaining pesto sauce, or heated spaghetti sauce if desired.
Omg! This recipe is amazing! I've made it 3 times, forgot to come back and review. It was perfect! I made it 2 nights back to back because my husband couldn't get enough of it :) ... Trust me, says a lot since he's a very picky eater! My 5 year old loved it as well.
Also, I used pepper jack cheese slices instead.
Very good. A little different way of serving plain old chicken. Red sauce added some nice flavor and made it taste like chicken parmesan. The prep. seemed a little time consuming and it was difficult to transfer from prep area to baking pan, it started to fall apart. I would recommend assembling each one in the baking pan.
These were easy and lovely. I cut my chicken pieces up small and just mixed them in with the pesto. I used grated mozzarella and didn't need quite 8 oz. Thanks for posting!