Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe was born out of my need to use up some things from my freezer- chopped chicken meat and homemade basil pesto. It's easy, tasty, and can be made ahead. If you want to make a one dish meal out of this, toss in a 10 ounce bag of thawed frozen vegetables. I used homemade stock as well, but canned will work fine.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta to just short of al dente.
- Drain the pasta, and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the chopped chicken and pesto to the bowl, and stir to coat.
- If adding vegetables, add them to the bowl now.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour, and whisk to form a roux.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly whisk the stock into the roux.
- Bring to a boil, and contiue to whisk until the sauce is slightly thickened.
- Crumble the boullion cube, and add to the sauce.
- Stir in the lemon juice.
- Taste the sauce for seasoning, and add salt or pepper as needed.
- Add the sauce to the chicken and pasta mixture.
- Stir to combine well, then place the mixture in the prebared baking dish.
- Top with the grated cheese.
- If making ahead, cover at this point and chill until needed.
- Bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the top is golden. If made ahead, the baking time may need to be increased.
I made this with mezza penne and it was great. I love the sauce....it wasn't a cream sauce and that was nice. Made for ZWT7.
What a lovely combination of flavors. The pesto mixed with the noodles and chicken were a bit hit! I also really liked the thickened sauce. This recipe was brimming with flavor. I didn't add extra veggies this time, but will in the future. It would be such an easy one-dish meal! Thank you. :)