Recipe by Sherry from Louisiana
This chicken is herb seasoned and baked in a marinade. These ingredients give the chicken a very dark color but the taste is simply amazing and you will not believe how good it smells while it is baking! Succulent is the word my husband uses to describe it and he requests it quite often. My four children love it too and I have to bake two chickens each time I make it. They leave nothing but the bones! One try and it will become one of your favorites too.
Top Review by lcreig2003_9613126
Let me just say OMG!!!! This is clearly a "10" and we only have 5 stars. I will never pay for a pre cooked chicken again (if I can help it)! This was the best chicken ever and I am not just saying that because Sherry is a dear friend of mine! The chicken was SO moist and juicy, my husband usually eats the leg quarter and this particular night I did serve him the leg quarter, however, after he finished his first plate he went back for a slice of the breast..... he said "if the dark meat is this tasty I have got to try the breast", he never eats breast meat except for in chicken salad. He also said he would eat the entire chicken, it was that good! As long as I have known Sherry, she has always loved cooking (and been good at it) and feeding her friends and of course, her family! I cannot wait to try more recipes from her collection.... This one will definitely become a family regular! I am already to purchase the next chicken. Thanks Sherry.... next!
- 5 lbs whole chickens (one 5lb chicken)
- 2 cups Wishbone Italian salad dressing
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Place clean chicken in a roasting or 9x13 pan.
- Combine the Italian dressing, soy sauce, Worcestershire, and butter in a microwaveable bowl or small saucepan and warm until the butter is melted and the marinade is well combined.
- Use a baster if you have one, if not just pour the marinade inside and all over the chicken.
- Coat the top and sides of the chicken very well with the poultry seasoning. Next, season with the salt, pepper, basil and garlic powder. Put the bay leaves inside the cavity of the chicken.
- Place chicken uncovered on center rack of oven. Bake for 30 minutes then baste the chicken with the pan juices. Bake for another 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven at the one hour mark and turn the chicken over in the pan. Baste the exposed underside with the pan juices and then season well with poultry seasoning, and a little sprinkle each of pepper and basil. Put the chicken back into the oven and bake for another 30 minutes. Again take out the chicken and turn it over. Depending on your oven and the exact size of your chicken it may take 15-30 minutes more for it to be done.
- Check for doneness at the thigh joint. No blood or redness means it is done. Do not be concerned with the dark color of the chicken at any point. It is the herbs and marinade that give it the dark color and it will not taste burned.
- As you serve the chicken dredge each piece in the pan juices or spoon a little of it over the piece.