1/5 Photos of Chicken-Fried Steak
This is from Southern Living. It's the BEST chicken-fried steak I've ever had. Talk about comfort food!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper evenly over steaks.
- 2Combine cracker crumbs, 1 cup flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, red pepper, and baking powder.
- 3Whisk together 3/4 cup milk and eggs. Dredge steaks in cracker mixture; dip in milk mixture, and dredge again in cracker mixture.
- 4Pour oil into a 12" skillet; heat to 360 degrees (do not use a nonstick skillet). Fry steaks 3-4 minutes. Turn and fry 2-3 minutes or until golden. Remove steak to wire rack in a jellyroll pan. Keep steaks warm in a 225 degree oven. Carefully drain hot oil, reserving cooked bits and 1 tablespoon of dripping in skillet.
- 5Whisk together remaining 4 cups of milk, 1/4 cup of flour, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1 teaspoon black pepper. Add milk mixture to reserved dripping in skillet; cook, whisking constantly, over medium-high heat for 10-12 minutes, or until thickened. Serve gravy with steaks.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken-Fried Steak
Serving Size: 1 (576 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 486.9
- Calories from Fat 143
- Total Fat 15.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 133.5 mg
- Sodium 1850.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 19.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: