1/8 Photos of Chicago Style Deep-Dish Pizza Dough
2 hrs 30 mins
This recipe comes from the book "Pizza" and is just wonderful. It can be hard to press the pizza up the sides of the pan, but just let the dough rest for a bit first and it should be easier.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in1/4 cup of the warm water. Add the sugar and 1/4 cup of the flour and stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula to combine.
- 2Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- 3Add the remaining 1 cup warm water and 3 cups flour, the cornmeal, salt, and 1/2 cup olive oil.
- 4Using a wooden spoon, mix the dough, incorporating as much of the flour as possible.
- 5Turn the dough out on a lightly floured work surface and knead until soft and elastic, 10 to 12 minutes. It will be a little sticky, but shouldn't stick to your hands.
- 6Add only a minimum amount of flour to the work surface to keep the dough from sticking.
- 7Lightly oil a large bowl. Add the dough and turn to coat on all sides.
- 8Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place a clean, damp, kitchen towel over the top.
- 9Set the bowl in a warm spot and let rise until doubled in volume, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. (For a slow rise, place the covered bowl in the refrigerator and let rise for 10 to 12 hours, returning dough to room temperature before using).
- 10When the dough has doubled in volume, punch it down and knead it for 2 to 3 minutes. Press the dough evenly into the bottom of an oiled 14-inch round deep-dish pizza pan.
- 11Let the dough rise in the pan for 15 to 20 minutes.
- 12Press the dough until it comes 2 inches up the sides and is even on the bottom and at the corners of the pan.
- 13Proceed with any deep-dish pizza recipe.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicago Style Deep-Dish Pizza Dough
Serving Size: 1 (115 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 352.7
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 296.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 7.6 g