1/4 Photos of Chicago Italian Beef
18 hrs 10 mins
You'll be sorry you didn't grow up in Chicago, and eat one of those wonderful beef sandwiches from Carm's. This tastes identical. This wonderful recipe came from my sister Linda knowing how homesick I am for Chicago food. Start cooking 18 hours before you want to eat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 lbs rump roast (do not substitute for a different type roast)
- 2 (10 1/4 ounce) cans beef consomme (Broth)
- 1 (1 ounce) package Good Seasonings Italian salad dressing mix
- pepperoncini pepper (1/2-1 jars depending on level of spiciness)
- giardiniera (1/2-1 jars)
- 3 -5 sweet green peppers (according to size)
- 1 loaf long thin French bread
- 1Cook first 5 ingredients in a Crockpot on LOW for 18 (eighteen) hours.
- 2Turn over at the 6th and 12th hour interval.
- 3At the 17th hour cut sweet green peppers into 1/8 ths lengthwise and cook in water on low heat until soft.
- 4Cut bread into 6 inch lengths and slice on the side lengthwise.
- 5Pull roast apart with a fork, and using tongs, pile bread with meat and juice.
- 6(Do not let juice drain before putting on bread. The juice is half the taste of the sandwich.) Lay strips of green pepper on top of the meat.
- 7Salt to taste.
- 8OPEN WIDE and enjoy the most wonderful taste sensation.
- 9May be frozen when cooked.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicago Italian Beef
Serving Size: 1 (4230 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1519.3
- Calories from Fat 530
- Total Fat 58.9 g
- Saturated Fat 22.7 g
- Cholesterol 340.2 mg
- Sodium 2052.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 119.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 121.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Good Seasonings Italian salad dressing mix