Recipe by Chef tanecník!
This recipe is the only low fat brownie recipe that has ever turned out well for me! It does not yield a odd texture like other low fat brownies.
Top Review by vegan chef lena
Very, very gooey brownies. I added walnuts and chocolate chips which seemed to give the right amount of crunch to offset the gooeyness. They're very sweet--next time I'll try different sugars (used 3/4 dark brown sugar and 1/4 regular white). Now I'm inspired to find recipes for cakey brownies and fudgey brownies as well!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated vegan margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3⁄4 cups brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree or 2 tablespoons pumpkin pie filling
- 3⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1⁄3 cup chocolate chips (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Microwave the margarine* in a small bowl until melted. Let cool .
- Mix margarine and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add applesauce and mix.
- Beat in the vanilla extract and pumpkin.
- Add flour mixture to the large bowl and mix. Stir in chocolate chips if using.
- Grease a 8x8-inch pan with cooking spray and pour in batter.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and removed clean.
- *I like to use Smart Balance Light for my margarine.
- ** For mint brownies add 1/2 -1 tsp of peppermint extract.