Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
This is a very nice loaf cake for any occasion. It is SO tasty. I have had the recipe for years, don't know where it came from. Glace cherries are candied cherries that you buy in the baking section of the store
- 2 cups flour or 2 1⁄4 cups cake-and-pastry flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup glace cherries, quartered
- 1 cup butter (you could use margarine, but tastes best with butter)
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- Combine flour and salt.
- Stir well to blend.
- Mix 1/2 cup flour mixture with cherries.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, I use a high speed on my mixer till it is REAL fluffy.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add remaining flour gradually.
- Stir in extract and floured cherries, mixing until well blended.
- Spread in greased loaf pan.
- (I use a veg. spray).
- Bake at 300DegreesF for 90-100 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Don't be concerned if cake cracks on top, it is supposed to.
Very dense cake, made pretty loafs, nice cherry color inside when cut. Next time I might add a bit more almond extract, as it could have been a bit stronger for me, and maybe some almonds on top, just to pretty up the outside a bit. A very nice cake.
This pound cake recipe would make good bricks. Add 1 teaspoon baking powder & at least 1/2 cup milk or cream to make it edible. Bake @ 350`F for 50-60 minutes (toothpick clean).
This turned out terribly! I followed the instructions exactly, but my cake came out very dark with a unattractive peaked and pitted top. I'm not sure what when wrong. I haven't tasted it yet, so I hope it is edible.