Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Every summer we use to have a fish fry at my DH's grandparents. I was always asked to bring the grits and never went home with leftovers.
- Heat water and salt to boiling.
- Gradually add grits and return to boiling.
- Reduce heat.
- Simmer uncovered, stirring for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool, slightly.
- Add cheese, butter and eggs, mix well to ensure all of the grits are incorporated.
- Bake at 350 degrees until a light golden brown, about 50 minutes.
I like regular old grits but these are my new favorite way to have them! I love the fact that you can make them ahead and pop them in the oven to bake while preparing the rest of the meal - especially handy for brunch get-togethers. Excellent recipe!
I am sure that for people that love grits, this was an amazing recipe. I am going to try them again, and bake them a little longer than the recipe calls for. They were very cheesy, which I did really like.
I am not a Southern gal either, but I know a delicious dish when I have it. This was one of them. Yum!! I cut the recipe in half. Only two of us here, and had to use less butter and fat free cheddar. Also, egg beaters instead of real eggs. No salt. DH has severe dietary restrictions because of kidney problems. However, this was one recipe that I didn't notice the difference. It was so good!!! Thanks, will be making this one again and again.