Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Every summer we use to have a fish fry at my DH's grandparents. I was always asked to bring the grits and never went home with leftovers.
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 (16 ounce) package sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- Heat water and salt to boiling.
- Gradually add grits and return to boiling.
- Reduce heat.
- Simmer uncovered, stirring for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool, slightly.
- Add cheese, butter and eggs, mix well to ensure all of the grits are incorporated.
- Bake at 350 degrees until a light golden brown, about 50 minutes.
I just made this cheese grits I added bacon and pepper jack cheese white cheddar . American cheese and Sharpe cheddar with eggs very good will be making it again with turkey sauage.
I like regular old grits but these are my new favorite way to have them! I love the fact that you can make them ahead and pop them in the oven to bake while preparing the rest of the meal - especially handy for brunch get-togethers. Excellent recipe!
I am sure that for people that love grits, this was an amazing recipe. I am going to try them again, and bake them a little longer than the recipe calls for. They were very cheesy, which I did really like.