Recipe by greysangel
This is a lightened recipe adapted from Dairy Hollow House Soup Cookbook. It sounds complicated but it's not when you're doing it. Hope someone gives it a try!
Top Review by CookieKris
This is one of our favorites! Great flavor and pretty much everything is in our pantry all the time. No special trips to the grocery store. We use regular corn when we don't have roasted on hand. Thanks!
- 2 cups of well flavored chicken stock
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with jalapenos
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup diced boneless chicken breast (apprx one large breast)
- 2 -3 fresh green chilies, seeds removed and diced or 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons Mexican chili powder (i use penzey's medium)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 6 ounces reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend or 6 ounces reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup trader joe's roasted frozen corn (no need to defrost)
- chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium pot, bring chicken stock and tinned tomatoes to a boil -- turn down and let simmer covered.
- In a large skillet, heat butter and oil. Add onions and brown for approx 3-4 minutes. Add chicken to brown. Add chilies and spices and stir to incorporate. Add ap flour and slowly add milk, stirring to incorporate.
- Let cook for a few minutes until thickened and flour has been incorporated into sauce.
- Ladle 1 cup of broth/tomato combo into the skillet and stir to thin a bit. Pour entire contents into soup pot and bring to a bare simmer, simmering for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in cheese, corn and creme fraiche slowly incorporating so both combine into the broth.
- Serve with chopped cilantro and tortilla chips, tobasco, rice etc. Texture of the soup should be velvety.not thick.