Recipe by Chef Shadows
From :Feeding America - Whitehouse Cookbook , A Collection A pre 1900 recipe.
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix into a paste with the yolk of an egg.
- Roll out to the thickness of a silver quarter, about four or five inches long; cut into strips about a third of an inch wide, twist
- them as you would a paper spill, and lay them on a baking-sheet slightly floured.
- Bake in a moderate oven until crisp, but they must not be the least brown.
- If put away in a tin, these cheese straws will keep a long time.
- Serve cold, piled tastefully on a glass dish.
- You can make the straws of remnants of puff-pastry, rolling in the grated cheese.
- Cooking time is an estimate, watch carefully.
- From :Feeding America - Whitehouse Cookbook , A Collection.