Prep 55 mins
Cook 44 mins
A quick recipe for tasty pita.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons quick-rising yeast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups hot water (but not boiling)
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup flour
- Combine first four ingredients in a large bowl.
- Beat well about 1 minute.
- Then mix in the remaining flour, using just enough to make a soft, sticky dough.
- Turn out on floured board and continue to knead for 5 minutes.
- Divide into 8 balls.
- Roll out each one to about 1/4 inch thick and 6 inches in diameter.
- Place on very lightly greased cookie sheet sprinkled with cornmeal (although cornmeal is really not necessary if you don't have it).
- Let rise in warm place for 25-35 minutes .
- Bake at 450 for 4 min, and then turn over for 4 more minutes or until lightly browned.
- Wrap immediately in a dishtowel for 3 or 4 minutes.
if yoy substitute 1/2 cup cake flour for regular flour it will rise higher, plus if you heat your oven to its highest temp. and use a stone; it will cook in 3 to 4 min and doesn't have to be turned.
Easy recipe - couldn't believe how easy. But I found there was too much flour -left out nearly i cup.And tastes great Janice
great recipe! very consistant and easy. i've gotten lots of compliments. thanks