Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
I adore California Rolls, but I got tired of driving 30 minutes to the nearest Japanese Restaurant to get them. Since I don't know how to roll Sushi, I came up with this salad that has all the components of a California Roll. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
- 1⁄2 lb imiation crabmeat, flaked
- 3⁄4 cup cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 2 tablespoons light Hellmann's mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 4 avocados
1 batch sticky rice
- 1⁄2 cup short-grain rice (long grain won't work)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- pickled ginger
- sesame seeds
- Sticky Rice:Rinse short grain rice until the water runs clear. Place 1/2 cup rice and 1/2 cup water in a saucepan and cover with tight fitting lid. Bring rice to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove rice from heat, remove lid and place a tea towel over pot. Replace lid and allow to sit for an additional 15 minutes. Remove rice from pot and cool in refrigerator so you can mix it in the salad. It will be very sticky.
- To assemble the salad; combine flaked crab meat, cucumber mathsticks, mayonnaise, soy sauce, and cooled rice in a bowl, mix until well combined.
- Halve each avocado and remove flesh from the skin. Place 2 avocado halves in a bowl and top with 1/4 of the California Roll mixture for each person.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and wasabi and pickled ginger to taste.
- Note: If you don't want to make the sticky rice, just substitute 1 cup of leftover plain white rice.
Tasty! For easier eating I sliced the avocado and put in the bottom of the bowl and placed the salad on top. sprinkled with a little roasted seaweed sheet and a dash of soy sauce. Made for I Recommend Tag.
This was very good, but I made a few changes. I upped the soy sauce for more flavor and I used avocado mayonnaise. Avocado "mayonnaise" (Candida Friendly). Also, instead of putting it in a halved avocado I served it with sliced avocados. Yum, thanks for posting! Made for Spring PAC, 2013