Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found this recipe in Food & Wine magazine (Travel Edition - Sept 2012) while waiting for my daughter at the dentist's office. Sounded good to me so I typed it into my phone! Posted for ZWT8.
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter.
- Add cumin seeds and mustard seeds and cook over high until mustard seeds begin to pop.
- Add rice and squash and toss with seeds to mix thoroughly.
- Add water and salt, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until squash is tender and water is completely absorbed - about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Fluff rice before serving.
I registered specifically to review this recipe. It was fantastic and easy to make! I only used half of the large butternut squash I had on hand do I am looking forward to making it a second time later in the week!
Yum, this is SO nice!!!! I made this exactly as recipe, except that I sauteed the butternut cubes for a few minutes with the mustard and cumin seeds, then I added the water and brought to the boil, and only then added the rice, as I've found basmati rice cooks very quickly and I was a bit worried about the butternut not cooking as quickly, and my husband does NOT like al dente vegetables :) This turned out excellently, the butternut cubes were still firm but tender, and I thought, wow, what a lovely way to serve rice and a vegetable :) We enjoyed this with Zucchini Mexicana, for a super vegetarian dinner, and this recipe was made for Family Picks, ZWT8