1/1 Photo of Buttermilk Sourdough Rolls
2 hrs 16 mins
Red Apple Guy's Note:
I love the flavor of buttermilk and sourdough in breads and biscuits. These are yeast-risen but can be made with sourdough alone. Longer fermentation times are needed for that. Rising times are included in the preparation times.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Refresh the sourdough starter the night before.
- 2Mix the buttermilk, butter, yeast and starter until blended uniformly.
- 3Add flour and salt and mix thoroughly, cover and let rest for 20 minutes.
- 4Knead for 3 to 4 minutes and stretch and fold the dough, letter style, top to bottom and side to side.
- 5Place in a straight sided clear container and let rise for 15 minutes.
- 6Stretch and fold the dough and replace in the container to rise until double in volume.
- 7Divide into 16 uniform pieces weighing 55 g each and shape into balls.
- 8Place on parchment paper and cover with oiled plastic.
- 9Let rise until 1 1/2 times it's original volume (I place one roll in a small straight sided glass to judge the rise).
- 10Apply an egg wash (1 egg white or egg and 1 tablespoon of water well mixed) and place in a 375F oven near the top of the oven.
- 11Bake for 8 min and rotate pan 180 degrees. Bake 8 more minutes until internal temperature is 205°F.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Buttermilk Sourdough Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (90 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 213.4
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 9.1 mg
- Sodium 502.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 6.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: