- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup oil (not olive oil)
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- In a deep-fat fryer, or a skillet, heat oil to 375 degrees.
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg in a bowl.
- Add oil, buttermilk and egg; beat until smooth.
- Drop batter by teaspoonfuls (too large puffs will not cook through) into hot fat.
- Fry only 4-5 puffs at a time until golden brown on all sides.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Glaze the warm puffs, or roll in cinnamon/sugar mixture.