Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
This is a good stand by and easy mixed in a food processor
- 225 g flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 175 g caster sugar
- 175 g butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk, cold
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Grease lined tin with melted butter.
- Sift flour and baking powder into processor and add all remaining ingredients.
- Run machine for 20 counts.
- Scrape down sides.
- Run machine for a further 30 counts.
- Transfer to prepared tin and spread evenly with a spatula. Bake at 160° C for 1 1/2 hours.
- Leave in tin 15 minutes before turning onto a rack.
- VARIATIONS Seed cake = Add 2-3 tsp caraway seeds after scraping down the sides.
- Orange Cake = omit vanilla.
- Add 1 tsp orange peel.
- Lemon Cake = Add 1 tsp lemon peel.
- Chocolate Speckle Cake = Add 1 crushed Chocolate Flake Bar after scraping down sides.
- Raisin Cake = Add 3 oz raisins after scraping down sides.
- Spicy Cake = Add 2-3 tsp Mixed Spice with the other ingredients.
This recipe is so easy and the cake was absolutely fabulous! I added an extra tablespoon of milk because the batter seemed a bit thick. I used a round cake tin and cooked it for an hour and ten minutes at 150C. It came out perfect. This is definitely one I'll be using often. Thanks for the recipe!
A perfect cake. I actually need it to use for another recipe, but couldn't bear to buy one in the supermarket, full of E-numbers and other horrible things, when this is so easy to make. The only thing I found was that my baking time was less than is given here -- about 1 hour total. Perhaps this is because I am using a fan oven but in any case it pays to keep an eye on the cake and test periodically.