This makes a great sugar cake without all the work. My boys beg me to make this all the time and since it uses the bread machine I can.
- 1⁄2 cup instant potato flakes
- 5⁄8 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons milk, about
- Place dough ingredients in bread pan, select Dough setting and press Start.
- When dough has risen long enough, the machine will beep.
- Turn off bread machine, remove bread pan, and turn out dough onto a floured countertop.
- Grease a 15x10x1 inch jelly-roll pan or 16x12x1 inch baking pan.
- Place dough in pan; gently stretching it, press it evenly into pan.
- Cover and let rise in warm oven 30 to 45 minues until doubled.
- In small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon for the topping.
- With 2 fingers, poke deep holes all over the dough.
- Sprinkle sugar mixture evenly over dough.
- Drizzle melted butter on top.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven, place on serving plate.
- Serve warm without icing or allow coffee cake to cool sightly and combine the confectioners' sugar and milk for the icing and drizzle on top of cooled coffee cake.