Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
Boiling the chicken first produces a moist and succulent chicken.The stuffing is like having an extra meal out of the chicken! Experiment with your favourite spices. Imperial ounces are used for this. This recipe comes from A New book of Middle Eastern Food.
- 1 large roasting chicken
- 3 ounces butter
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb beef or 1 lb lamb, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- 4 ounces blanched almonds, halved
- 2 ounces pine nuts
- 4 -5 ounces cooked rice
- 2 -3 ounces butter, for roasting
- Clean the chicken and place in a deep saucepan and cover with water.
- Add salt, pepper and butter.
- Bring to the boil skimming away any scum.
- Simmer in the water for about 3/4 hr, or until nearly tender.
- Allow to cool a little.
- Fry the minced meat in 2 tbsp oil until browned and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a separate pan heat the remaining oil or butter and fry the almonds and pine nuts for 2-3 mins.
- Mix the meat, nuts and rice and taste for seasoning.
- Stuff the chicken tightly with this mixture and secure with a skewer.
- Roast the stuffed chicken, brushed with butter, in a slow oven (160c/325F/Gas Mark 3) for 30 mins, or until it is a beautiful golden colour.
This was awesome! Will definitely become a regular at my dinner table.