Recipe by CarolAT
These buttery, spicy crackers are easy to make as well as exceptionally crunchy. This wonderful recipe came from Williams&Sonoma. For a variety of crackers to serve, try this recipe along with the Cheddar-Cayenne Icebox Crackers and the Rosemary-Parmesan Icebox Crackers.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cracked pepper
- 2 lemons, zest of
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup asiago cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, salt, cracked pepper and lemon zest and pulse twice to mix.
- Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal, about 10 pulses.
- Add the cheese and pulse twice to combine. With the motor running, pour in the cream and continue processing until the dough forms a single mass.
- Transfer the dough to a work surface and roll into a log about 2 inches in diameter. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a least 3 hours or up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 325°F Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the dough into 1/8 inch thick slices and place on the prepared baking sheet. If desired, using miniature decorative cutters, cut out the center of each slice, then place the cutouts on the baking sheet.
- Bake until the crackers are light golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack. When the crackers are cool to the touch, transfer them to the rack.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Tip: Prepare the dough, shape into logs and refrigerate for up to 2 days before baking. If desired, bake the crackers up to 2 days in advance.