Recipe by Andy Wold
Top Review by aylalea
I lived in Okinawa Japan for three years and while it is American dish they made this everywhere but, they used ginger jelly to fry it in. I can't find it here in the states so I add either fresh or powered ginger to it . It makes a big difference. I also use frozen peas and carrots to shorten the cooking time.
- 4 cups cooked rice or 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons carrots, finely diced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook rice following instructions on package (Bring 2 cups water to a boil, add rice and a dash of salt, reduce heat and simmer in covered saucepan for 20 minutes).
- Pour rice into a large bowl to let it cool in the refrigerator.
- Scramble the eggs in a small pan over medium heat.
- Separate the scrambled chunks of egg into small pea-size bits while cooking.
- When rice has cooled to near room temperature, add peas, grated carrot, scrambled egg and diced onion to the bowl.
- Carefully toss all of the ingredients together.
- Melt butter in a large frying pan over medium/high heat.
- When butter has completely melted, dump the bowl of rice and other ingredients into the pan and add soy sauce plus a dash of salt and pepper.
- Cook rice for 6-8 minutes over heat, stirring often.