Recipe by TasteTester
People seem to either hate or love beets -- I would guess you like them because you have chosen this recipe to look at. (The first recipe calls for canned beets; sometimes I buy fresh beets and cook them -- this variation is after the canned beet recipe.) When using the fresh beet recipe, I make the beets ahead of time to allow for cooling in the fridge and then just cut them up when assembling the salad.
Top Review by Prose
Thank you for posting this refreshingly unique salad! My best friend and I are beet fiends, and we really loved the way that the spinach and oranges complimented the earthy and sweet flavors of the beets. The colors were beautiful as well. I can't wait to make this again! I used Recipe #443992 for the dressing. The poppy seed dressing might have been a little too sweet for our taste.
CANNED BEET RECIPE
- 170.09 g fresh spinach leaves
- 425.24 g canof cut beets (well drained)
- 311.84 g can mandarin oranges, well drained (in light syrup)
- 59.14 ml bottled poppy seed dressing (if you don't like poppy seed dressing you can use a basic vinaigrette dressing)
FRESH BEET RECIPE
- 3 fresh beets (used in place of the canned beets)
Directions See How It's Made
- CANNED BEET RECIPE:.
- Place spinach in a salad bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients; toss and serve.
- 5 minutes prep time; no cooking time.
- FRESH BEET RECIPE:.
- Preheat oven to 450°F Remove beet greens from 3 fresh beets; rinse beets and wrap tightly in foil. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. Unwrap foil and remove skin by rubbing firmly with paper towels. Refrigerate beets until cool; cut into pieces and add to salad.
- 5 minutes prep time; 1 hour cooking time; 1 hour cooling time.