Posted by request. Every Italian family has their own version of this dish. My grandmother made it with a simple garlic/cheese "stuffing", which is the same way I still make it. It can be served as a main course or as part of the "meat course" along with the meatballs, sausage, etc.
- Using a very sharp knife,"butterfly" the steak (or have the butcher do it).
- Pound the steak with a meat mallet until its about 1/4 inch thick.
- Lightly season the meat with salt and pepper.
- Spread the minced garlic, minced parsley and cheese evenly over one side of the meat, to within a 1/4 inch of the edges.
- Starting with the long edge, tightly roll the meat up (like for a jelly roll).
- Tie the rolled meat tightly every few inches along the length of the roll, with the cord (make sure the ends of the roll are tied well).
- Heat olive oil in a heavy frying pan, add braciole and onion.
- Fry the meat, turning it frequently until evenly browned.
- Add the browned braciole to the pot of simmering tomato sauce to finish cooking (about 45 minutes).
- To serve, remove the cords and slice the braciole into 1 inch slices.
- Spoon some sauce over the slices.