Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is a perfect healthy addition to almost any pasta dish. It is fairly inexpensive, quick, and simple. Even better: it's relatively high in protein and fiber while low in fats. Enjoy!
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 onion, quartered
- 8 medium button mushrooms, halfed
- 19 ounces dark red kidney beans
- 3⁄4 cup oats
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- In a food processor add the garlic, when roughly minced add in the onion and process until it is diced. Move this mixture into a large mixing bowl.
- Finely dice the mushrooms in the food processor and add those to the mixing bowl as well.
- Put the kidney beans (I used canned) into the food processor and blend until roughly mashed (NOT pureed). Put this into the mixing bowl as well.
- In the food processor again, blend the oats and sunflower seeds until the consistency of bread crumbs. Add to the mixing bowl.
- Finally, add the TVP, nutritional yeast, bay leaf, and salt to the mixing bowl. Mix all of the ingredients together until incorporated.
- Let this mixture sit in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour, then divide and roll into 1 inch balls. Bake for 15 minutes or until browned.