Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I was given the recipe for this wonderful soup, along with a bag of bean mix (red kidney beans, romano beans, navy beans, green and red lentils, split green and yellow peas and pearl barley) by a very dear friend many years ago for Christmas! I have since made it many times. While not exactly a soup for summer, I have made it on occasion when I didn't know what else to cook. I eat soup all year round!
- 354.88 ml 10 bean soup mix
- 1419.54 ml cold water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 3 hot Italian sausages or 3 italian sweet sausage, sliced
- 793.78 g can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4.92 ml chili powder
- 0.25 ml ground cloves
- 29.58 ml dry sherry (optional)
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Rinse the bean mix, cover generously with cold water, and let soak for 8 hours or overnight.
- In a large saucepan, combine the bean mixture with 6 cups water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until tender.
- Add the onions, carrots, sausage, tomatoes, chili powder and cloves.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until the flavours are well blended.
- Stir in the sherry, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Excellent soup! I used the ingredients that were listed but used a quick soak method for the beans because I kept forgetting to soak them overnight. I'll probably be adding more veggies to the left over soup.
This makes very good soup! It seemed a bit bland when I first tasted it, but I think this was due to the Japanese (not Italian) sausage I used for the sake of convenience. I added some oregano, which easily cleared up the problem. I'm also considering sprinkling a little Parmesan cheese on top, too. I combined seven different kinds of beans and barley. I got a bit over-enthusiastic, and ended up making 2.3 times the recipe, which necessitated the use of my largest, 9-liter pot. I did use a little less tomatoes, because they wouldn't all fit. Anyway, now I have quite a lot of delicious soup. Thank you very much for sharing this recipe with us. I will enjoy making it in the future.