Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is kind of like a hush puppy with the fish inside of it!I got this from a Walmart card! The recipe calls for hushpuppy mix, but the computer won't let me say it, so I have put biscuit mix. Mexico, Spain, the South, all use these ingredients!
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package biscuit mix (hushpuppy mix)
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 lbs grouper fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- Stir together the mayonnaise, green onions, jalapenos, hot sauce, lemon juice, salt and red pepper in a medium bowl. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Stir together hushpuppy mix and milk in a medium bowl.
- Pour oil into a large deep skillet to a depth of 1/2". Heat oil to 350*F. Dredge fish in flour then in hushpuppy mix.
- Place fish in oil and fry in batches 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden. Serve with sauce. Enjoy!
This was great. I really liked the sauce. I used cod because I prefer it to grouper.
This recipe is fabulous! The tartar sauce was delightfully different and packed quite the wallop. I used tilapia in place of grouper, as it's what I happened to have on hand. I wouldn't mind trying this recipe with catfish too. I will make this dish again and again. Thanks so, so much for sharing! Reminds me of Fat Fish Blue's(a cajun restaurant in downtown Cleveland, OH) catfish lollipops with jalapeno dipping sauce. Fab, fab, fab!!!