Recipe by Southern Lady
Bananas, crushed pineapple, lemon gelatin, marshmallows with a DELICIOUS cream topping. Golden Oldie Recipe from Darlene Smith of Rockford Illinois, published in Reminisce Magazine.
Top Review by Mary K. W.
I can't believe I'm the first to review this after this recipe has posted almost two years ago. This is one of the best gelatin salads I've tried in a long time. The lemon flavor is oh so subtle and then the whipped topping with the pineapple juice included is so different than most of the jell-o salads with a topping. It's very easy to make and got rave reviews from all who tried it. I served it at a card party and was asked for the recipe (that's always a good sign). This one is going in my regular rotation of salads. Thanks so much for sharing and posting, Southern Lady.
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 2 cups water
- 1 (3 ounce) package lemon gelatin (jello or like)
- 8 large marshmallows
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 5 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 dash salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1/2 cup; set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil; remove from heat. Add gelatin and marshmallows; stir until dissolved.
- Chill until partially set.
- Toss bananas with lemon juice; fold bananas and pineapple into gelatin.
- Pour into an 8" square dish.
- Chill until firm.
- Combine the sugar, flour and salt in saucepan. Stir in egg and reserved pineapple juice; cook and stir over low heat until thickened.
- Remove from heat; stir in butter. Cool.
- Fold in whipped cream; spread over firmed gelatin and sprinkle with pecans
- Chill overnight.