Recipe by threeovens
I planted my very first garden this year and hoping for a bounty to emerge so I can make some "canned" goods. This recipe make 5 half-pints which I think is a manageable amount. From "Better Homes and Gardens - Can It!"
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs sweet onions, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter and oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat until butter melts; add onion, salt, and sugar and cook, covered, until onions are tender, about 13 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover, turn heat up to medium high, and cook and stir until onions are a deep golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cherry tomatoes and honey; bring to a boil, then turn heat down to medium-high and boil until tomatoes are soft, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and stir in balsamic vinegar and season with pepper.
- Ladle mixture into hot, sterilized jars, leavin 1/4-inch headspace.
- Wipe jar rims and apply lids.
- Process jars in a boiling water canner for 5 minutes (begin timing once water returns to a boil); remove jars and cool on wire racks.