1/1 Photo of Baked Macaroni and Cheese With Kale and Great Northern Beans
From food blog Al Dente. (http://www.aldenteblog.com/flauers_martini.html) I added a package of organic chicken hot dogs as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups milk (low-fat is fine)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 bunch kale (any kale or chard will do)
- 1 lb pasta, elbow, shell, ziti
- 1 (15 ounce) can of northern white beans, drained
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt it.
- 2Cook the milk with the bay leaves in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. When small bubbles appear along the sides, about 5 minutes later, turn off the heat and let stand.
- 3In the salted water, cook the pasta al dente. Drain it, rinse it quickly to stop the cooking, and put it in a large bowl.
- 4Trim the stems from the kale. Bring a large pot of water to boil and add kale. Boil kale for one minute, remove, and set aside to cool. Squeeze excess water from kale and chop into edible pieces.
- 5In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter; when it is foamy, add the flour and cook, stirring, until the mixture browns, about 5 minutes. Remove the bay leaves from the milk and add about 1/4 cup of the milk to the hot flour mixture, stirring with a wire whisk all the while. As soon as the mixture becomes smooth, add a little more milk and continue to do so until all the milk is used up and the mixture is thick and smooth. Add the cheddar and stir.
- 6Pour the sauce over the noodles, toss in the Parmesan and kale, mix in the white beans, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 7Use the remaining 1 tablespoon butter to grease a 9 x 13-inch or similar-size baking pan and turn the pasta mixture into it. Top liberally with bread crumbs and bake until bubbling and the crumbs turn brown, about 15 minutes. Serve piping hot.
Browse Our Top Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Macaroni and Cheese With Kale and Great Northern Beans
Serving Size: 1 (332 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 678.0
- Calories from Fat 222
- Total Fat 24.7 g
- Saturated Fat 14.8 g
- Cholesterol 71.5 mg
- Sodium 429.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 30.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh whole wheat bread crumbs