Prep 2 mins
Cook 20 mins
This smells delicious while it bakes. It can easily be multiplied to accomodate a larger family. If you use a cold apple, the sugar will stick to the outside nicely, but it will take longer to cook. I have heard of people using honey instead of sugar, but it tastes funny to me. (note: I'm sorry I originally forgot to post the baking temperature of 375)
- Preheat the oven (or toaster oven) to 375.
- Place the apple in a small oven safe bowl or dish.
- Spoon the liquid into the dish beneath the apple.
- Layer the sugar, raisins, and cinnamon in the center of the apple, sprinkling the excess sugar (with a touch of cinnamon) over the top.
- Cover the entire dish with foil and bake until tender, about 20 minutes (for a small apple.).
- It can safely be eaten 5 minutes out of the oven.
Simply WOW! This is a perfect, easy, quick, healthy and yummy way of preparing baked apples! I used only 1 ts sugar and found it sweet enough due to the apple's own sweetness. Other than that I followed your recipe to the t and it was so YUMMY! THANKS SO MUCH for sharing this gem of a recipe with us, Japan bound! Made and reviewed for the An Apple A Day Challenge in the photo forum Octobre 09.
Very tasty, I'll make this again. The only thing I would say is that firm apples are better. I used a soft variety and it went a bit mushy. Thanks for posting!
I love baked apples so made this one as a breakfast treat I didn't have any raisins but will make it again and include them Thanks Japan bound for reminding me of an old favorite