Recipe by Chef shapeweaver �
I was tired of my usual Mac N' Cheese, so this is what I came up with.The prep times include the frying of the bacon, and also includes the cooking time of the pasta.If you don't have the pasta that this recipe calls for, please use whatever you have on hand. And the amount of salt and pepper is strictly up to your own personal tastes.And if you are a cheese addict like me, :) you can add more cheese to the top before baking.Submitted to " ZAAR " on November 18th, 2009
Top Review by airlink diva
This recipe hits the mark! I'm a huge mac and cheese fan! Then to add savory bacon brings it to a whole new level!<br/>The items for this recipes are items that many have on hand without making a trip to the store. I used 10 slices of bacon and a can of rotel for color.<br/>This recipe was very easy and the longest item was the cooking of the bacon and pasta. Once these are done, every thing else is a snap.<br/>I let mine cook around 30 minutes.<br/>It's so good that I fixed a small plate to eat a few minutes after coming out of the oven. I had to remind myself not to eat all of it (fix for lunch the next few days).
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 3⁄4 cup of uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Fry bacon till lightly crisp, crumble and set aside.
- Cook macaroni according to directions on pasta box, and drain.
- In the same pan as you cooked the pasta, melt margarine and add flour.
- Cook for about 3 minutes,until flour taste is cooked away.
- Add milk a little at a time, stir until flour is well blended.
- Remove from heat and add 3/4 cup of cheese, stirring until melted ( at this point, you may add a bit more milk if it's too thick ).
- Add pasta, crumbled bacon, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into a greased a 1 1/2 quart baking dish, sprinkle top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or longer if you like a more golden cheesy top.