1/1 Photo of Baccala Soup
1 hr 5 mins
Baccala is salted dried codfish. It needs to be soaked in water for two days to remove the salt and to reconstitute the fish. The flavor is distinct. This recipe was my mothers, it was and still is served every Christmas Eve in our home:)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -1 1/2 lb dried salt cod fish, "baccala"-soaked
- 1/2 cup oil, a good olive oil
- 2 small onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 medium potatoes, chunked
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1Soak baccala in a deep pan/bowl filled with water for 2 days;changing water once a day.
- 2Cut fish up into 4 inch squares;set aside.
- 3In pot on a medium low flame; put oil,onion and garlic; brown gently.
- 4Add celery,bay leaf,thyme and parsley; continue browning for 1-2 minutes.
- 5Add tomatoes; cook 5 minutes.
- 6Add potatoes; cook 10 minutes.
- 7Add fish; cover and lower flame.
- 8Cook slowly; 40 minutes or until potatoes and fish are done.
- 9Stir in pepper at end of cook time.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baccala Soup
Serving Size: 1 (367 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 510.4
- Calories from Fat 182
- Total Fat 20.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 114.9 mg
- Sodium 5616.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 51.1 g