Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
courtesy Rao’s Restaurant
- 2 lbs salt cod fish, cut in 3-inch pieces
- 1 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups fennel, sliced
- 1 cup gaeta olive
- 1⁄4 cup capers
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Soak cod for 2 to 3 days, refrigerated, changing water regularly. In large pot, bring 6 quarts of water to a boil, add cod and cook until fish breaks off easily. Strain and cool.
- After it cools, remove skin and bones, if there are any, and break into bite size pieces. In medium saute pan heat oil and saute garlic for 2 to 3 minutes. Cool.
- In a bowl, add cod, pour oil and garlic over, add lemon juice, fennel, olives, capers, parsley and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place in serving platter and serve at room temperature.