Recipe by PDX Meems
This is the best ice cream I have ever had. It is so delicious and easy to make. Best of all, there are no animal products involved! The vitamin C tablet might seem strange but you really can't taste it at all and it keeps the avocados from turning brown.
Top Review by Ebirch
Delicious and easy. This was the first time I've tried avocado ice cream. It makes a nice smooth ice cream. I added the avocados to the soy milk mixture while it was still warm as I am slightly allergic to raw avocado and it worked out well.
- 2 cups whole-fat soymilk
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated cane juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 slices fresh orange zest (4-by 1-inch)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 firm-ripe california avocados (1 to 1 1/4 lb total)
- 500 ml vitamin C powder (crush a chewable pill)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 1 3/4 cups soy milk, 1/2 cup sugar, zest, and a pinch of salt to a simmer in a 2-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat. Whisk together cornstarch and remaining 1/4 cup milk in a small bowl until smooth, then whisk into simmering milk. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly, and boil 1 minute. Transfer mixture to a metal bowl, then set bowl in a larger bowl of ice and cold water and cool completely, stirring frequently. Discard zest.
- Quarter, pit, and peel avocados, then purée with vitamin C and remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a food processor until smooth. Add soy milk mixture and blend well.
- Freeze avocado mixture in ice cream maker. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze until hardened, about 1 hour.
- Ice cream can be made 1 week ahead.