Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is the best ice cream I have ever had. It is so delicious and easy to make. Best of all, there are no animal products involved! The vitamin C tablet might seem strange but you really can't taste it at all and it keeps the avocados from turning brown.
- 2 cups whole-fat soymilk
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated cane juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 slices fresh orange zest (4-by 1-inch)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 firm-ripe california avocados (1 to 1 1/4 lb total)
- 500 ml vitamin C powder (crush a chewable pill)
- Bring 1 3/4 cups soy milk, 1/2 cup sugar, zest, and a pinch of salt to a simmer in a 2-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat. Whisk together cornstarch and remaining 1/4 cup milk in a small bowl until smooth, then whisk into simmering milk. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly, and boil 1 minute. Transfer mixture to a metal bowl, then set bowl in a larger bowl of ice and cold water and cool completely, stirring frequently. Discard zest.
- Quarter, pit, and peel avocados, then purée with vitamin C and remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a food processor until smooth. Add soy milk mixture and blend well.
- Freeze avocado mixture in ice cream maker. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze until hardened, about 1 hour.
- Ice cream can be made 1 week ahead.
Delicious and easy. This was the first time I've tried avocado ice cream. It makes a nice smooth ice cream. I added the avocados to the soy milk mixture while it was still warm as I am slightly allergic to raw avocado and it worked out well.