Recipe by Jenny Sanders
This is a nice fall salad, simple and light. It makes a good starter for a special meal. I have made it a few times for Thanksgiving.
Top Review by Cathy17
This is a very pretty salad. I didn't plate it up as I made it for Cdn Thanksgiving and it would have taken too much time to do each separately. Instead, I layered everything in a pretty crystal bowl then tossed everything around to serve.
I had to fiddle with the dressing to get it to taste right to me. The measurements as they were in the recipe seemed too vinegary. I wound up adding more apple juice to it.
- 2 medium beets
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider or 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground aniseed
- 2 medium tart apples
- 1⁄2 cup walnut pieces
- 1 head boston lettuce or 1 head bibb lettuce
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash but do not trim the beets.
- Boil them until tender and remove them to cold water.
- (Or roast them, if you prefer.) When they are cool, peel them and cut them into 1 cm cubes or small slices.
- Mix the apple cider or juice, the walnut oil, the lemon juice, the vinegar and the spices in a small jar and shake well.
- Core and chop the apples.
- Wash, dry, and tear up the lettuce.
- Arrange it on plates with the apples, beets and nuts over it.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salads.