Vegan Chickpea Tikka Masala
photo by Izy Hossack
- Ready In:
- 1 large white onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons finely grated ginger
- 6 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14 ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 butternut squash
- cooked rice, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Peel and de-seed the squash. Cut into 2-inch chunks and toss with 1 tbsp of the olive oil on a baking tray. Roast for 30 minutes until starting to brown around the edges. Set aside to cool.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large, deep skillet over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent – about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and stir for 1 minute. Add in the tomatoes, spices, salt, tomato paste, red pepper flakes and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil and turn down to simmer. Leave to cook until most of the water has evaporated.
- Pour the contents of the skillet into a blender and add the remaining 1 cup of water. Blend until smooth then pour back into the pan.
- Add the coconut milk, chickpeas and roasted squash. Simmer until slightly reduced and thickened. Serve hot with rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
www.topwithcinnamon.com Food blogger & cookbook author ('The Savvy Cook' and 'Top with Cinnamon')