Two Cheese Cauliflower
Thanks go to British chef Delia Smith for coming up with this cheesy cauliflower dish. It's real comfort food for me and pleases even the pickest vegetable eaters.
- Ready In:
- 1 medium cauliflower, separated into florets
- 1 1⁄2 ounces parmesan cheese, finely grated,plus
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons extra parmesan cheese, to finish
- 1 1⁄2 ounces gruyere, finely grated
- 3 tablespoons creme fraiche
- 2 bay leaves, torn in half
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped,including the green parts
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the grill to its highest setting.
- Place the florets and a few of the inner leaves in a steamer with the pieces of bay leaf tucked amongst it.
- Pour in some boiling water from the kettle, sprinkle over some freshly grated nutmeg and salt, then cover and steam until tender.
- This should take about 12 minutes.
- After this time, test the thickest parts with a skewer to see if they are tender, then remove it to the baking dish and cover with a cloth to keep warm.
- Now pour 3 fl oz of the steaming water into a saucepan, add the crème fraîche and simmer.
- Whisk well until it has thickened very slightly, then add the cheeses.
- Heat this gently for about a minute, whisking, until the cheeses have melted.
- Season the sauce to taste and pour over the cauliflower.
- Scatter the spring onions and remaining parmesan over the dish, then sprinkle with the cayenne.
- Finally, place the dish under the hot grill until the cauliflower has browned and the sauce is bubbling.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
see 1 more