Tangy Potato Soup
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 14 ounces chicken broth
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 dashes ground thyme
- 6 ounces low-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel preferred)
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 -3 slices crumbled bacon (optional ~ as a garnish, if desired)
- Saute chopped onion in butter and olive oil, until translucent.
- Add chopped potatoes, chicken broth, salt, pepper, and ground thyme.
- Simmer gently for about 15 minutes til potatoes are tender, but not falling apart.
- Add Neufchatel cream cheese ~ stir until dissolved, over the lowest possible heat.
- Add sharp shredded cheddar cheese ~ stir until dissolved, over the lowest possible heat.
- Remove from heat ~ wait 10 minutes ~ stir and serve.
- Top with crumbled bacon, if desired.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I definitely recommend this soup for one of those cold winter days (or nights) when you want something light, but comforting. We loved the addition of the cream cheese and of course the cheddar cheese and bacon. The only change I made was to add 1 cup of milk to the broth because I used a few extra potatoes. Made for the For Your Consideration tag game.
Loved this soup! I did add some minced garlic, used dried minced onion, and regular cream cheese. We like yukon gold potatoes for soup so DH bought those and bacon bits to use as a garnish. Creamy, cheesey, and tangy potato soup that will be a favorite for us to make. Made and reviewed for the Please Review My Recipe Tag Game.
This was an excellent & easy to prepare recipe which easily adapted to our families taste preferences. I used small yellow potatoes with skins on which I halved and then quartered and used a vegetarian "chicken" broth. I added 1 large garlic clove, 1 minced jalapeno, 1/2 tsp dried basil and a 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes. Next time I'll up the red pepper flakes to 1/2 tsp. I only had 4 oz of cream cheese and used 1 cup jalapeno/monteray jack which was still very cheesy. We really enjoyed this and be making it frequently. Thank you for sharing it!