Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 1 lb ground turkey (or veggie burger) or 1 lb ground chicken (or veggie burger)
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, crushed, diced
- 1⁄2 large onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 - 1 bell pepper, diced (use all colors, red, green, yellow, orange for color)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon oil or 1 teaspoon cooking spray
- italian seasoning mix (oregano, basil, etc)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese or 1 cup feta
- Pierce the squash along one side in a straight line. Don't poke holes all over. You are using the skin as a casserole dish and it will leak if you poke it all over.
- Microwave the squash about 8-10 minutes, high heat. To softish stage so you can scrape the flesh out later.
- Remove from microwave. Using the pierce marks, cut the squash in half so you have two long 'boats.' Cool.
- Brown meat; add garlic, onion, s&p and peppers. Cook until tenderish. Add Italian spice mix and canned tomatoes. Simmer for a few minutes.
- If you are not using meat, sauté the veggies until tender, then continue adding spices and tomatoes.
- While it's simmering--spoon out the seedy portion of the squash and discard.
- Use a fork to scrape the spaghetti into strands. Put the strands into the sauce mix. Stir. Transfer back into boats, piling high! If you have too much, put the remainder into a greased dish.
- Place boats on an ovenproof pan with a lip so any juice will not drip onto oven.
- Sprinkle cheese of choice onto top. Bake, 350°F for about 45 minutes. Enjoy!
- You can of course use more or any veggies--add zucchini, mushrooms, etc. For a different flavor, add black olive slices, mix in 1/2 container of feta and sprinkle the remainder of feta on top. Or use parmesan on top.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I've never cooked spaghetti squash before, but I saw it on TV and it looked interesting. This recipe was terrific, my mom, dad, brother, and boyfriend loved it - none of them had ever had it before either. I used a whole green bell pepper and added mushrooms as well. I think next time I'll add even more veggies, red peppers and whatnot. Super yummy, wouldn't change a thing. :D