Stuffed Lady Fingers(Okra)
Not for weight watchers this one... This recipe elongs to the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, and is eaten with phulkas/chapaties. This vegetable has to be cooked very carefully. Adding water while cooking will spoil the whole vegetable. Choose small okra for this as it is cooked whole.
- Ready In:
- 500 g ladyfingers or 500 g okra
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground fennel
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 2 tablespoons coriander powder
- 2 tablespoons mango powder
- salt, as per taste
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions (thickly sliced)
- Clean, wash and wipe lady fingers absolutely dry. Remove the stem. Cut a slit lenghtwise and keep aside. Remember not to slice it through.
- Mix all the powders and salt.
- Stuff the lady fingers/okra with this masala. Keep aside the left-over masala.
- Heat oil in a kadahi. Add sliced onions and cook for till light brown.
- Add stuffed lady fingers/okra. Cook covered on low heat. Stir only once or twice.
- Add rest of the dry masala when lady finger/okra is almost cooked.
- Cook covered for some more time on very low heat till lady fingers/okra are fully cooked and tender.
- NOTE: DO NOT ADD ANY WATER TO THIS VEGETABLE !