Southern Chili Beans
photo by Claudia Parnell
- Ready In:
- 6hrs 20mins
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can light red kidney beans
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup water or 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 large yellow onion (finely chopped)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet mccormick original chili seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Once oil is hot, add chopped onion and saute 3 minutes, then add 1tsp garlic, 2 tsp paprika, 1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, and saute 30 seconds longer. Pour onions into crockpot.
- Return skillet to medium-high heat, add in ground turkey. Stirring occasionally until ground turkey has browned. Once cooked drain and add to crockpot.
- In crockpot add in remaining ingredients, diced tomatoes, kidney beans (drained), 1/2 cup of water or beef broth, 1 tsp granulated sugar, and a tsp each of salt and pepper.
- Stir all ingredients together, cook on low for 6 hours.
- Serve warm. Enjoy!
- Serve topped with: Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese, sour cream, or hot sauce! Optionally serve with for sides: fresh cornbread or biscuits, baked potatoes, saltine crackers or tortilla chips!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hi everyone! My name is Claudia, I'm a wife to an amazing husband and soon to be mom to a bundle of joy! I love to cook so I hope you enjoy my recipes.